January 5, 2009

(warning: this post probably contains a lot of type-o's. I'm too lazy to go through it.)

If you know me well, you know that I have a tendancy of losing/missplacing/forgetting things...a lot. Usually, when I lose something I hardly ever get sad or upset. When something has been stolen from me, I forget about it rather quickly and in fact, I don't really care as much as I should.

Here a SMALL list of the things that have been stolen from me in the past that I should have freaked out about but didn't really care as much as I should have:

* about $300.00 from my wallet in beauty school
* Puma & Dr. Martins shoes from a locker room (my favorite shoes)
* i pod nano (eventually was returned to me)
* a pair of really nice Guess jeans retailed over $100
* make up, perfume, clothing, money, from a roommate ( i didn't know which one did it and didnt have the time or desire to investigate it)

there is much more but you get the picture. Basically, I just don't get attatched to material items or my belongings for some reason.

Why am I sharing this with you? Well, last night was the first time I ever freaked out or became emotional about losing something.

Here is my story. (below my beautiful, meaningful, precious wedding ring) It's long but worth it.


Yesterday I had to work and it was a Sunday. Usually, I am not in the happiest moods when I have to work those 2 Sundays a month. I was sad that it was a new year and I was stuck at work while my husband was alone at church. It's a family ward and everybody has their partner/parents/ SOMEBODY. So it always makes me a little sad when I know that I am working and not with him to enjoy churc. It was such a sloooooooooooow day in the Cosmetics department, in Macy's, and all over the mall. It's the day after all the holiday bliss or madness, in my case, is over with. Plenty of people were around, but it was obvious that all of the hoiday spending money was, well... spent. There were just a bunch of people walking around all day.

I needed to use the restroom around 5:00 pm because one- i had to go. and two- i needed to clean my wedding ring because i just got done matching this lady for foundation and when i was finished my ring was dirty.

Usually I will go right away but i kept getting this feeling to just wait. I have a really weak bladder (too much information?) and have to go right when i feel the need to.

It was odd because after i felt the impression to just wait, it wasn't until 6:40pm when the feeling to go again came back. I decided to go since the store would be closing in twenty minutes and there weren't any people in the store anymore.

So I went to the ladies room, took care of business, cleaned my ring, washed my hands and left.

Finally, I got to go home and was very excited to see Nathan! We were driving home when I reached in my bag to get something and looked at my hand. I gasped. My ring was not on my finger. My heart started beating and all i could think was "oh my gosh its gone!" I took a deep breath and called my co worker who was still closing and asked her to run to the restroom and look for it and i would meet her back at the store. We turned to car around and once we got to Macy's I dashed out of the car and ran...ok walked fast to the eployee entrance, keyed in my password and went inside. the store was already closed and so when I met up with my co worker, she told me she couldn't look because the automatic lights were off in the restroom and she couldn't see anything and so a manager was on the way. I dashed to the restroon turned my cellphone light on and looked where it left it. It was gone. just when i was about to lose it and burst into tears, I stopped my self. I said a prayer asking for my Heavenly Father to help me get my ring back. I told me this ring was so important to me and it meant so much to my life. Yes, it's just a piece of shiny (expensive) metal from this world, but it is something that my best friend, and eternal companion gifted to me as a token to be his forever. I needed it back.

I opened my eyes and walked out of the pitch black restroom. My eyes were filled tears and ready to burst when i was greated by another manager. She turned on the light and i told her i already looked where i left it but would looke again. It wasn't there.

She said she was really sorry and shrugged and walked away. As I walked away a huge feeling of doubt came over me. "This is Macy's!", I thought. " A department store filled with people coming in and out of public restrooms all night. Somebody found the ring and put it in her pocket! I better just give up get back home". I quckly realized this kind of attitude wouldn't help and so i took another deep breath, clenched my fists and started to think.... "What do I do? Where do I go? What would i do if I found a pretty ring?" " I WOULD RETURN IT!".

I kept telling my self as I walked down to gift wrap, " Have Hope. Have Hope. Have Hope..."
I finally got down there and asked a lady desperately, " Has anyone returned a ring, I left my wedding ring in the ladies restroom?". Her eyes widened and she said, " Actually, YES! Just a few minutes ago."
I couldn't believe it. One of the housekeeping employees went to clean up right after I left and saw it and returned it to gift wrap.
She said that the lady who returned it is a nice, older woman that worked at Macy's and gave me her name. I thanked them took the lady's name and went back to the car a very happy person.

If I would have went to the restroom the first time, it would have been almost 2 hours before closing when it was busy. I listened to the impression I had to wait just a little bit before the store closed. Because I waited, the only other person who came after me would be this nice woman to clean up the restroom before the store was closed for the night. My prayer was answered before I even prayed for the answer.

Have Hope and listen to promptings, even the smallest ones.

(If you read this whole story, wow. It was a long one, but worth it.)

3 comments:

The Boyce's said...

Oh my goodness Paloma! That is one of my biggest fears! The whole time I was reading that I was gasping & stressing out! haha I'm so glad you got your ring back & that you listened to the promptings! What a great lesson for others! Thanks for sharing! :)

DeHaan-Lybbert Familia said...

oh gosh, horrible. totally felt this with my lovely necklace ken got me, i don't wear it much cause of that, maybe i'll wear it again someday, it's in the box. I'm glad for you though phew!

Whitney R said...

I'm so glad you listened and that the cleaning lady was honest. Your so lucky! I'm terrified of forgetting mine somewhere. If I ever take it off to wash my hands I put it in my pocket. But my worst fear is my main diamond falling out. It's suspended up 4 prongs and this summer one of them was bent all the way back. I put it away and didn't wear it but it was like a nightmare coming true, it could have fallen out.

I'm glad you found your ring!!!

Followers